Monday, April 17, 2006

The inner child

Well, lets face it. He is right. He is younger but I am the kid. I have a (stubborn) active child inside. I plan to have this kid always alive (if I did not plan it would happen anyway, so why should I start a battle with myself that I know I would lose?).

In 40 years from now I see myself as this old lady with the shiny eyes trying to convince the rest of her elderly colleagues to start a salsa dancing competition. Ok, right, some of them cannot dance any longer? Fine, no problem. So the ones that cannot dance can participate in a mus tournament. Oh, so at the end they are having fun, eh? Even the ones thay were moaning before the start? You see. Sometimes people don't know what they are capable to do - and yet have fun while doing it. It is not the success itself what brings fun. Fun comes while we are on our way, during all the way.

When I was a teenager I was very sporty. I remember that my coach was the national team coach. A really tough one. Sometimes some of us were moaning to him "Please, please, for god's sake, I can't do more!". I remember his smart and calm look. "Oh yes, you definitively can do more. You don't even know how much more you can do" (now that I think about it, he had a poliomyelitis when he was a kid and ended coaching a national volleyball team, so I guess he knew what he was talking about).

It is amazing how some words are engraved in one's memory. I've always wondered why. Why these ones and not other ones. Maybe the ones that stick in our minds are the ones that surprise us the most. Or the ones that we do not believe. Who knows what the triggers are for this to happen.

The fact is that during all my life I've said this sentence (or thought it without saying it explicitly) many many times. Most of the people do not know how far they can go. How well they can do. This is totally proven, it is not a fantasy. If you have ever experienced the miracle of a person discovering that he has gone beyond what he thought was the maximum, the limit, you know what I am talking about. I am talking of a whole discovery. That person, at that moment, is having his child reborn. Fresh and happy.

So what does it mean to keep the child alive? Well, it means a lot of things. I think I could write a whole book just talking about this. I've read a couple of times that children use lets say 8% of their brain capacity, while adults use 3% or 4% (I've read different percentages but the relationship remain more or less the same). And what does this mean? I think that the answer is very simple. All the investments the society does to raise and educate their kids have the same result. To kill approximately 50% of their thinking ability.

I think that a child has a lot of virtues. And I mean a lot. First thing that I can say about a child is that his hope is alive. Also he is full of energy. Capability not only to think that things can improve (an adult can also do this), but also to have faith in it. A faith that can be irrational sometimes, I agree. And trust, also trust. In oneself, in the rest of people, and basically in everything that looks worth. And enthusiasm. Oh, I really don't know how many virtues I could write here, but there would be a lot.

My child inside is a bit crazy. She does not realise that I am a grown up lady and maybe I should behave more seriously. Sometimes she puts me into big troubles :) But she has been so so close to me when I needed her. She has helped me so many times. She is my inner faith. My inner power.

I really like to have my child inside, completely alive. Jumping and singing. Going from here to there. Hyperactive (this was the first thing I heard people said about me when I really was a kid). Always ready to have fun. Ready to work hard. To try to make something work. Again and again. Until it does. If you doubt that anything can work then you need to talk with your child. He will tell you that if the target is reachable, if you try to reach it by different approaches, and you are patient and persistent enough, then it will work.

Ops, I forgot! Maybe this happens because of two characteristics of kids I did not mention before: they are stubborn and they don't like to lose ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home